Monday, October 12, 2009

Mothers of Musicians

Hi. My name is Donna Byrd and I'm a mother of musicians. I am not ashamed to admit that I am an enabler of dreams and creativity. I took Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's advice and "taught my children well, feeding them on my dreams" and finding out later that they would, indeed, end up feeding me on theirs. I now realize that this is a blissfully co-dependent relationship, each party generating creativity and inspiration to the other one. I don't think that I need counseling for creative co-dependency and enablement. I just want the encouragement of knowing that there are people "out there" just like me.


You see, I know how mothers of musicians think. Did I buy the best key board, drum set or guitar that I could afford? Will their instrument make their talent shine? Should I get them a better music teacher? Have I already sacrificed enough for their potential music career? Is anybody else but me noticing how talented they really are? Is it just me, or are they destined for fame?

Mothers of Musician (MOMS) I know that you're out there! I want to hear from you. What are your success stories, not so successful stories, sacrifices or just, feelings? Let's unite and encourage one another. In my next blog, I'll give you a little more history on my young musicians. Until then, "Teach Your Children".

1 comment:

  1. MOM it's the daughter who's known and loved you longest :) I'm here to vouch for your wonderful blogs! I was there and notes do "cry"! Thank you for teaching me that! Amongst many other things! Love you!

    ReplyDelete